The following articles and research briefs can be very valuable in your advocacy efforts. Read them carefully and look for quotes and other information that can support your cause.
If the item is available on line, we have included the link below.
Background on Post-Adoption Services
- Adoption Support & Preservation Services: A Public Interest, The National Consortium for Post Legal Adoption Services, March 1996
- Adoptive Parent Preparation Project: Phase I – Meeting the Mental Health and Developmental Needs of Adopted Children, Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute, by Dr. David Brodzinsky, 2008
- An Approach to Post-Adoption Services: A White Paper, Casey Family Services, August 2002
- Creative Strategies for Financing Post-Adoption Services: A White Paper, Casey Family Services, October 2003
- Investing in Adoptive Families: What Adoptive Families Tell Us Regarding the Benefits of Adoption Preservation Services, Adoption Quarterly Vol. 8, Issue 3, by Zosky, Howard, Smith, Howard and Shelvin, October 2005
- Parents and Professionals Identify Post Adoption Service Needs in New York State, New York State Citizens Coalition for Children Survey Report, February 2010
- Post-Adoption Services: Emerging Themes, Issues and Interventions, Casey Family Services, 1996
- Post-Permanency Services, Madelyn Freundlich & Lois Wright for Casey Family Programs, 2003
- Promoting Successful Adoptions: Practice with Troubled Families, Susan Livingston Smith & Jeanne A. Howard, 1999
- The Postadoption Experience: Adoptive Families’ Service Needs and Service Outcomes, Child Welfare League of America, 2006
- A Report to Congress on Barriers & Success Factors in Adoptions from Foster Care: Perspectives of Families and Staff, Children’s Bureau, 2007
- Sustaining Adoptive Families: A Qualitative Study of Public Post-Adoption Services, American Public Human Services Association and the Center for Adoptive Studies, October 2002
- The Value of Adoption, American University Department of Economics Working Paper, by Mary Eschelbach Hansen, December 2006
Research on Particular Post-Adoption Services or Needs
- Post-Adoption Services: Meeting the Mental Health Needs of Children Adopted from Foster Care, North American Council on Adoptable Children, by Madelyn Freundlich, et al., July 2007
- The Value of Adoption Subsidies: Helping Children Find Permanent Families, North American Council on Adoptable Children, by Madelyn Freundlich, et al., May 2008
Model Programs and Ideas
- Developing a Parent-to-Parent Support Network, North American Council on Adoptable Children, by Janet Jerve, April 2009.
- Starting and Nurturing Adoptive Parent Groups: A Guide for Leaders, North American Council on Adoptable Children, by Janet Jerve, October 2002.
- Taking a Break: Creating Foster, Adoptive and Kinship Respite in Your Community, AdoptUSKids, October 2008; updated 2013.
- Creating and Sustaining Effective Respite Services: Lessons from the Field, AdoptUSKids, September 2012.