Are you a young person who experienced foster care or adoption? Do you want to make a difference for other young people in foster care or adoption? You can do it!
NACAC strongly believes that youth who have been in foster care and young people who were adopted are uniquely positioned to be child welfare advocates and to provide support to young people in foster care and adoption.
Through our Community Champions Network funded by Jockey Being Family®, we offer services to help local organizations and youth leaders create and develop youth advocacy and support networks.
- improve young people’s lives
- improve systems and communities
- influence other young people to take action
- address a specific need
- respond to societal, community, and governmental issues
- help young people find a place to belong
- promote healing
They also provide an opportunity for positive youth development, uniting youth for friendship, community, support, growth, and fun. They also provide an opportunity for healing and growth.
“Commonality with other people…means having a feeling of familiarity, of being known… It means taking part in…the everyday. … The trauma survivor who has achieved commonality with others can rest from her labors. Her recovery is accomplished; all that remains before her is her life.” — Judith Herman, Trauma and Recovery
We encourage you to explore the many resources for youth leaders on our website, including:
- Ensuring Positive Youth Development: Creating and Enhancing Youth Networks
- Starting a Youth Network
- The Importance of Youth Networks
- Resources on Youth Networks and Advocacy
- Strategic Sharing
- Ways to Share Your Story
- Sample Stories, Artwork, and More from Young People
- NACAC’s Youth Advisory Team
- We Can Help With Youth Advocacy and Networks
If you would like to start a youth support or advocacy network or would like to discuss your current network’s needs and how we can help, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 651-644-3036, or submit a request for technical assistance.