Updated September 2020

Below you will find information about the adoption assistance benefits that may be available to families who adopt children from foster care in Alabama. Adoption subsidy policies and practices are, for the most part, dependent on the state where the child was in foster care before the adoption.

State Contact

Jack Eddy
Adoption Program Coordinator
Services Array Section
State of Alaska Office of Children’s Services (OCS)
Department of Health & Social Services (DHHS)
P.O. Box 110630
Juneau, AK 99811

NACAC Volunteer

NACAC has no Alaska volunteer. If you or someone you know would like to volunteer to help families learn more about adoption assistance, please contact Josh Kroll at NACAC: joshk@nacac.org or 651-644-3036 x15

What Is Adoption Assistance?

Parents who are thinking about or are in the process of adopting a child from foster care should know about adoption assistance (also known as adoption subsidy). Adoption assistance programs are designed to help parents meet the needs of children they adopt from foster care. Children can qualify for federal adoption assistance or state assistance, depending on the child’s history. (For more information on federal adoption assistance (Title IV-E) eligibility, view our fact sheet Eligibility and Benefits for Federal Adoption Assistance.)

Answers to select questions were made available by the Association of Administrators of the Interstate Compact on Adoption and Medical Assistance through the Child Welfare Information Gateway (www.childwelfare.gov).

If you have state-specific questions, call your State Agency Adoption Assistance Contact or the NACAC Volunteer (listed above). If you have questions about a specific adoption assistance payment (such as the payment being late or you are changing addresses or bank account), call your State Agency Adoption Assistance contact or the general number for that agency.

For other questions, contact NACAC at 651-644-3036, 800-470-6665, or adoption.assistance@nacac.org.

Adoption information provided by the state agency: 

Alaska’s state-specific medical assistance information:

Alaska’s adoption assistance information:

Who is Eligible for Adoption Assistance or Subsidy?

1. How does Alaska define special needs to determine eligibility?

A child is determined to have special needs if there is a specific factor or condition that makes it reasonable to conclude that the child cannot be placed for adoption without adoption assistance. Such factors or conditions may include:

  • ethnic background
  • age
  • membership in a minority or sibling group
  • the presence of factors such as medical conditions or physical, mental, or emotional disabilities
  • high risk of the above facts (for example, due to alcohol or cocaine being present when the child was born or mental illness of the child’s parent(s)

2. Does the state-only funded adoption assistance program differ in any way from the Title IV-E program?


3. Are children adopted from private agencies in Alaska eligible for adoption assistance?

Yes, but only if the children are Title IV-E eligible. The private agency worker is responsible for providing documentation of IV-E eligibility. Reimbursement for nonrecurring expenses is also available for these children.           

What Supports and Services Are Available?

Monthly Payments

4.  What is the maximum basic monthly adoption assistance maintenance payment in Alaska?

Rates differ from region to region, with the per diem rates ranging from $26.03 to $47.19 per day.

5. Does Alaska provide specialized rates (based on the extraordinary needs of the child or the additional parenting skill needed to raise the child)? 

Alaska has specialized rates in its foster care program, which allows specialized rates in the adoption assistance program. Adoption assistance cannot exceed the amount the child would have received in foster care. The augmentation for Specialized Foster Care is $11.63 per day, and for Augmented Foster Care is $23.25 per day. Augmented rates are available on a case-by-case basis and depend on the child’s documented special needs.

6. When do subsidy payments begin?

Adoption assistance payments and benefits begin prior to the finalization of the adoption. Guardianship payments begin once the guardianship has been finalized.

7. When a child turns 18, which benefits, if any, continue?

Adoption and guardianship assistance payments end when a child reaches 18. If the child entered guardianship or adoption after age 16, resources may be available through the OCS Independent Living Program. More information can be found at http://dhss.alaska.gov/ocs/Pages/IndependentLiving/default.aspx.

8. Does Alaska offer deferred adoption assistance agreements (agreements with initial monthly maintenance amount is $0 for children at risk of developing special needs later)?


Medical Care

9. What Medicaid services are available in Alaska?

  • Inpatient Hospital Services
  • Outpatient Hospital Services
  • Rural Health Clinic Services
  • Other Laboratory and X-Ray Services
  • Skilled Nursing Facilities Services
  • Home Health Services
  • Nurse Midwife Services
  • Physician Services
  • Medical Transportation
  • Family and Pediatric Advance Nurse Practitioner Services
  • Federally Qualified Health Center Services
  • Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic, and Treatment Services (EPSDT)
  • Private Duty Nursing Services
  • Hospice Services
  • Nutrition Services for High Risk Children
  • Podiatry Services
  • Full Dental Services
  • Skilled Nursing Facility Services
  • Inpatient Psychiatric Services
  • Case Management Services for High-Risk Pregnant Women
  • Nutrition Services for High Risk Pregnant Women
  • Personal Care Services in a Recipient’s Home
  • Emergency Hospital Services
  • Medical Supplies and Equipment
  • Clinic Services
  • Prescribed Drugs
  • Physical Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Chiropractic
  • Treatment of Speech, Hearing, and Language Disorders
  • Prosthetic Devices
  • Eyeglasses
  • Optometrists’ Services
  • Intermediate Care Facility Services, including services for the Mentally Retarded
  • Licensed Clinical Social Workers, Psychologists and
  • Psychological Associates

More information is available from Alaska’s Medicaid helpline at 800-780-9972.

10. What medical benefits are available for state-funded children? (Children who have federally funded/Title IV-E adoption assistance are automatically eligible for Medicaid benefits.)

Medicaid is available to state-funded children who have an assistance agreement in place and who were eligible for Medicaid before execution of the agreement. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis. Once a child is determined eligible for Medicaid, the same coverage applies to both IV-E and non-IV-E children. 

11. What mental health services are provided by Alaska?

Public mental health services for children in Alaska are administered by Health and Social Services, Behavioral Health, and may include individual, group and family therapy; home-based therapy; case management; residential services; activity therapy; family and community education; and day treatment.

For more information, visit the following sites:

Not all services may be available in all cases. Parents should contact their adoption assistance worker or medical assistance specialist for information regarding process, eligibility, availability, and duration of services.

Other Benefits

12. In Alaska, what nonrecurring adoption expenses directly related to the finalization of an adoption may be reimbursed?

Parents may be reimbursed for nonrecurring expenses of up to $2,000 per child for an adoption or a guardianship. These can include legal and court costs, costs of pre-placement visitation and travel, adoption/guardianship home study fees, and other one-time expenses related to the finalized adoption or guardianship.  The agreement for reimbursement is included in the adoption assistance agreement.

13. Is child care available?  If yes, who is eligible and how do families access child care?

Families must locate their own childcare options and may apply for financial assistance through the childcare assistance program. Adoption or guardianship subsidy to include childcare is based on the needs of the individual child and family.

14. Is respite care available?  If yes, who is eligible and how do families access respite care?

There is no formal respite care program.  Families may access respite through their local developmental disabilities office. Respite care may be provided for developmentally delayed children through the Division of Senior and Disabilities Services.

15. Is residential treatment available? If yes, who is eligible and how families access residential treatment services?

Residential treatment costs that are not covered by Medicaid are the responsibility of the adoptive parents. Families should work with the Department of Behavioral Health regarding Residential Placement.

16. What other post-adoption services are available in Alaska and how do families find out more about them?

Post-adoption support services are available to any adoptive/guardianship parent who resides in Alaska.  The services include crisis management, case management, information and referral, and support groups.  The services are provided on a statewide basis, through the nonprofit, Alaska Center for Resource Families (ACRF). ACRF has offices in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau, and Mat-Su, as well as online information, services and supports at www.acrf.org.

17. If the assistance listed above in questions 13 to 16 is for specific services, must these services be explicitly identified in the adoption assistance agreement?

In Alaska, specific services are not explicitly identified in the agreement. 

What Should Families Know About Applying for Adoption Assistance?

18. Who initiates the adoption assistance agreement? 

Once the child is available for adoption or guardianship and the homestudy has been approved, the child’s adoption worker submits a packet of eligibility information for a formal determination of eligibility for the subsidy. When the child is found to be eligible, the adoption worker will negotiate the subsidy with the family.

19. Who makes the final determination on an adoption assistance agreement? 

After the family and the adoption worker agree on a subsidy amount during the negotiation process, the Regional Permanency Specialist reviews the request on a regional level and sends the subsidy agreement to the adoption coordinator, who reviews it to ensure that the subsidy amount does not exceed the rate paid in foster care. The subsidy agreement is submitted to the director or their designee for final approval and signature.

20. How do families request adoption assistance after finalization of an adoption?

A post-adoption subsidy may be approved for a child, regardless of whether the child is in department custody at the time of the adoption, if a review or hearing under 7 AAC 53.265 indicates that a situation described in that section applies.

Families should contact the OCS Adoptions Unit for more information on the fair hearing process.

How Can a Family Adjust an Adoption Assistance Agreement?

21. Can adoptive parents ask to change an adoption assistance agreement?

Alaska permits changes to the adoption assistance agreement when the change will best meet the child’s special needs.  Parents must make a request in writing and must include documents demonstrating the need for the change.  Alaska will evaluate any documentation that supports the family’s request, including  medical/mental health/school reports and other documentation from the family, current service providers, and other resources. Final changes are negotiated between OCS and the family and require the family’s concurrence. 

Parents can contact the State Office Adoption Unit at (907) 465-3209.

Families have the right to request a fair hearing to reconsider or appeal a decision received in response to their request for change. See Question 22 for more information.

22. What steps does a family go through to appeal an adoption assistance decision in Alaska?

Adoptive parents may request a fair hearing when they disagree with a decision regarding their child’s adoption assistance benefits; this process can begin as a first level review or an evidentiary hearing.  A first level review may be requested verbally or in writing. To request an evidentiary hearing, a family must submit their request in writing to:

Department of Health and Social Services
Office of Children’s Services
Adoptions Program
P.O. Box 110630
Juneau, Alaska 99811-0630

The request must:

  • describe the decision being appealed;
  • specify the basis upon which the decision is challenged;
  • include all information that you request be considered in resolving the matter, including a copy of the first-level review decision if you participated in a first-level review; and
  • be submitted to the address above; or if the request is for evidentiary hearing of a decision made based on a first-level review, to the address in the decision on the first-level review.

What Else do Families Need to Know?

23. How is the adoption assistance program operated and funded in Alaska?

The program is state supervised/state administered, which means that both policy and eligibility decisions are made by state personnel.

In Alaska, the federal contribution to Title IV-E-eligible children is 50 percent (known as the Federal Financial Participation or FFP rate). The remaining cost of the program is funded with state funds.

24. Does Alaska operate a subsidized guardianship program?

Yes. Federal (Title IV-E) Guardianship Subsidies provide Medicaid while State Guardianships do not.

25. Does Alaska offer a tuition waiver program?

Educational funding opportunities are available through the OCS Independent Living Program and the University of Alaska System, for youth who were in foster care at age 16 or older. More information is available at http://dhss.alaska.gov/ocs/Pages/independentliving/etv.aspx.

26. Does Alaska offer a state adoption tax credit?

No, Alaska does not have state income taxes.

27. Does Alaska have any program to support an adoptee whose adoptive parents die until the child is adopted again?
If there is not a plan for the child to have alternate caregivers, OCS may petition the court for custody if needed to keep the child safe. If the child was eligible for a IV-E subsidy, the new petitioner for adoption may be eligible to receive an adoption subsidy payment once they have provided an approved homestudy and a copy of the adoption petition.

28. What is the payment schedule for adoption assistance? Who do I contact if I haven’t received my payment? Can I receive my adoption assistance through direct deposit?

Adoption/guardianship assistance payments are made on or before the first of each month. These payments can be released via check or direct deposit. To request direct deposit, or to make a change to the direct deposit account, see http://doa.alaska.gov/dof/epay/adopt.html  The 2018 payment calendar.

29. What else differentiates Alaska’s adoption assistance program from others around the country?
Alaska places a high value on maintaining cultural connections for children who have been adopted. Subsidies can be negotiated to include meeting the individual child’s special need for assistance with maintaining existing connections with birth relatives and with their culture.

Alaska Legal Sources

Alaska Statute: AS 25.23.190 – 25.23.230

Click on 2015 Alaska Statutes–NOT new system version
Click on the item that looks like a page with an arrow on it.
Click on the cross before Title 25.
Click on the cross before Chapter 25.23 Adoption
Click on the item that looks like a page with an arrow on it.

Alaska Administrative Code: 7 AAC 53.200 – 7 AAC 53.299

Click on the plus sign before Title 7
Then click on the plus sign before Part 4
Then click on the plus sign before Chapter 53
Then click on Article 2 Subsidized Adoption and Subsidized Guardianship Payments

Child Protection Service Manual: Section Subsidies

Our Mission

The North American Council on Adoptable Children (NACAC) supports, educates, inspires, and advocates so adoptive families thrive and every child in foster care has a permanent, safe, loving family.


What We Do
Core Beliefs and Values
Board of Directors
Our Partners
Sponsorship Opportunities


North American Council
on Adoptable Children
970 Raymond Avenue
Suite 205
St. Paul, MN 55114


Staff Contact Info

The North American Council on Adoptable Children