In 2017, NACAC joined other organizations—including FosterClub, the Youth Law Center, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Children’s Village, and Christian Alliance for Orphans—in a national campaign to ensure bright futures for children in foster care by promoting the highest quality parenting. Called CHAMPS, the campaign builds on research that shows loving, supportive families—whether birth, kin, foster, or adoptive—are critical to the healthy development of all children.
CHAMPS aims to spur policy reforms in 20 to 25 states over the next five years to prioritize quality foster parenting and ensure that foster parents, including relative caregivers, are equipped with training and support to be the best they can.
The CHAMPS team has developed an idea bank of policy approaches for legislators, public agency leaders and staff, and others involved in developing and implementing state policies that serve children and families. Our goal is to promote policies that, when implemented, will pave the way for transformational change for children, families, and systems. CHAMPS has three focus areas for policy reform:
- quality caregiving — providing training, support, and information so foster parents can best meet children’s needs
- parents as partners in decision-making — ensuring true collaboration between agencies and their foster parents
- quality assurance — implementing a foster parent census, feedback opportunities, improved licensing processes, and other ways to help agencies maintain a focus on quality foster parenting
Join the Campaign!
- If you’re with an organization and you’d like to learn more or get involved, contact Mary Boo at 651-644-3036 x19 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We are particularly interested in having state foster/adoptive parent associations join our effort. You can also:
- Sign the CHAMPS pledge (text below):
I/we pledge support for the goals of CHAMPS, a national campaign to ensure bright futures for kids in foster care by promoting the highest quality foster parenting. Specifically, I /we agree that:
By signing this pledge, I/we am signaling my support for the CHAMPS Campaign.
- Sign up to receive news and updates from CHAMPS at http://fosteringchamps.org/#newsletter-signup-form
- Follow CHAMPS on social media:
We hope you will join us in this effort to ensure that children have the best possible intervention when they have to be in out-of-home care. You can learn more about CHAMPS at www.fosteringchamps.org.