Conference for Youth
Sponsored by Jockey Being FamilyTM
The Conference for Youth is a one-day event on Thursday, August 8 from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. with workshops and educational activities for youth interested in learning about adoption, permanency, and how to become advocates for themselves and other youth who need families.
The Conference for Youth is open to youth ages 16 to 25 who are or were in foster care or were adopted. Registration is $50 per youth. The Conference for Youth will be held at the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel.
Workshops will include:
- Teenbuilding—In this interactive session, participants will learn tips and techniques to help build a strong youth peer support group. Participants will explore different team building activities to develop trust and rapport within a group framework.
- Youth Panel—Youth who aged out of foster care or were adopted will share their stories and emphasize the power of peer support and youth advocating for themselves and one another.
- Adoption in Movies, Fairytales, and Comic Books—Many lead characters in fairytales, comics, and movies are orphans, foster children, or adoptees. These stories provide fascinating pictures of what it’s like to grow up with a different set of parents than the ones who brought you into the world.
- Speaking Out Using Technology—This workshop will introduce the Speak Out YouthZone website and explore some benefit and challenges of hosting youth engagement online.
- Becoming a Youth Advocate—Learn the basics of becoming a member of public speaking team(s) of adopted/ foster youth.
Other activities include:
- Creating Messages and Using Your “Voice”—Not all speaking out is talking in front of a crowd. Throughout the day and evening, we will work on digital stories, artwork, poetry, postcards, and more to tell your stories. You are the experts on foster care and adoption and your stories help improve the system for everyone.
- Evening Social—Music, friendship, food, and fun!
Space is limited so we encourage you to register as soon as possible. Register online, or download a PDF registration form. If you are attending the conference for youth along with Friday and Saturday of the conference, you must also submit a registration form for the conference.
If you are attending the conference for youth along with Friday and Saturday of the children's program, you must submit a children's program registration form and a parent must also be attending the conference.
Please e-mail Kim Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.